Tuesday, June 24, 2014 / by Fra Jamir
Distressed real estate is real estate in need of serious repairs. These properties are often called “handyman specials.” If you have the skill or the money to complete the repairs, you can often find great deals. Here are some dos and don’ts of buying distressed Charleston real estate.
- DO Get A Home Inspection Distressed homes need repairs. Some of these repairs, like broken floor tile, are easy to see. Others, like water damage in the attic, can be easily hidden. The only way to know for sure what you're buying is to have Charleston real estate inspected by a professional home inspector.
- DO Pay Attention To The Home’s Market Value You don’t want to buy a home and spend your hard-earned money for repairs only to find out the home is worth less than you paid for it. Have your agent complete a comparative market analysis so you know what the home is worth.
- DO Have An Estimate For Repairs There’s no point buying a distressed home if you can't afford the cost of the home and the repairs. Get an estimate from at least three contractors before you buy. Knowing beforehand the cost of repairs will help you make the best decision.
- DON’T Think About Potential Profit You’ve probably heard countless stories about people who bought distressed properties and sold them for outrageous profits. However, the reality is that most distressed homes are sold for a small profit or no profit.
- DON’T Buy A Home Just Because The Price Is Low When you buy distressed homes, you have to consider more than just the asking price. Add together the cost of repairs, insurance, and what you can realistically expect to make from the sale. This will tell you if the home really is a good investment for you.
- DON’T Buy If You Don’t Have The Money No matter how good a deal you find on distressed homes, they aren’t worth it if they will stretch your budget too far. The last thing you want to deal with is damage to your credit score and the risk of foreclosure in the event you can’t pay for the home.
Interested in selling your Charleston area home? Visit: www.jeffcookrealestate.com
Interested in buying a Charleston area home? Visit: www.discovercharlestonareahomes.com
Jeff Cook Real Estate